Live life with flavor

Friday, June 8, 2012

Passion Fruit Lemonade

Passion Fruit Lemonade

Do you love passion fruit? I sure do. There is something earthy and reminiscent about this fruit for me. The smell takes me to long summer days at the desert and warm summer nights at the beach. I love the crunch of the passion fruit seeds. The tang. The sour. The sweet. Its amazing how just a teaspoon of passion fruit takes a boring beverage and turns it into a memory!


I have always loved getting the Passion Fruit Lemonade's from Starbucks, but at about 5 dollars for one cup, (especially when you get one more then once a week) I've figured it is SO much cheaper to just spend a few more dollars and get everything to make it myself. My version is pretty close to their version. I hope you enjoy!


Below is a simpler version that you can make if you are pressed for time:


Passion Fruit frozen drink mix
Lemon juice
sugar
ice water 


Mix until well blended. Enjoy!


Here is my version of the recipe:


2½ cups water
1¼ cups sugar
½ teaspoon  lemon peel, finely shredded
1¼ cups lemon juice (about 4 lemons, depending on their size)
6 passion fruit pulp, (scooped out seeds)
1 lemon, thinly sliced
Water
Ice
Lemon or passion fruit flavored vodka (Optional for adults)


In a medium saucepan, heat water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool.


Add lemon peel, lemon juice and passion fruit pulp to sugar syrup. Cover and refrigerate. (Base can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days.)


For each serving, pour ½ cup base into a glass. Stir in ½ cup water. Fill the glass with ice and garnish with a lemon slice.


If desired, you can strain the passion fruit pulp to remove the seeds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment